Oracle Usability and Interface Design
Create with Approval Portlet
User Interface Specification
August 1st, '01
Version: 2st draft
Contact: Benson Lam
Create with Approval Portlet allows
Approver quickly and easily navigate created item to approve or reject.
- The problem:Creator must email approver.
Creator must know who the approver is. And creator must describe new item
location. - Approver must go to item to approve it.
- Proposed solution: Workflow Notifications.
Workflow targets the approver. Workflow points to the item.
Basic steps of an interaction scenario include:
- In Site Builder, creator
creates a item by clicking Edit Folder link on top of right hand corner.
- Click on the Add Item link
and start Create New Item wizard.
- Item has been created and
shown in Creator's Site Builder page as a new item with a Awaiting Approval.
- Approver receives a notification
in portlet (portlet customized to include this type of Notification).
- Approver may approve or reject
item form Notification details page.
- In Notifications portlet,
the subject string should look like [Item Display Name] [Action required
phrase] For example: "Sales Report for Jan '01", requires your
- Approver clicks on subject
string, the Create with Approval page will show the details of the item
need to be approved or rejected.
- Action includes Close.
- Creator receive a email if
the item has been rejected. Otherwise, item will shown in a portlet will
shown as a regular item.
Figure 1: Create with Approval
Portlet, interaction flow
The trim for top header areas will inherit
either the standard Oracle Portal style or the BLAF components as appropriate.
Illustrations here are show with Oracle Portal style UI. Interaction follows
Figure 2: Create with Approval
Issues outside the scope of this spec include:
- Site builder will use their
own workflow-like screens, but not the real Workflow Notifications Model.
- Create Item Approval notifications
will be list in their own portlet (not the same portlet as real Workflow
- Keep the subject string structure-
"Sales Report for Jan '01", or - "Sales Report for Jan '01" requires your
approval. When integrate with the real Workflow, use the longer string.
- Location for "Awaiting approval",
keep as is.
- URL to send to Karthic: Portlet
- UI_ Specifications/table_contents.htm
- UI_ Specifications/portlet_customization.htm